Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Town Food Service 14 Inch Cantonese Flat Bottom Wok



Cheap Carbon Steel = Desirable
After doing a lot of wok research I have found that contrary to the conventional logic of paying more to get a better product that is not what you want to do when purchasing a wok. Teflon can melt/sublimate into unhealthy gases at high temperatures. Cast iron takes far too long to heat up on a conventional stove and won't give you the pinpoint temperature control that you want while working with a wok.

You will have to SEASON this wok before you use it. I prefer the oven method since it is easy and very effective (search y-tube: "Walking you through seasoning a Wok"). A lot of videos show trickier gas range methods that my electric range certainly can't achieve - the oven method is completely idiot proof and very quick. This is a FLAT BOTTOM wok and is optimal for use on a ELECTRIC RANGE since a round bottom can reflect heat back onto the burner. Due to the thin steel I doubt this would work well on induction. If you have a gas range you want to go with a round bottom wok...

Not flat enough bottom to work on induction
I bought this to work on my induction range and it took a while to season it, but when I used it the first time only a small part touched the induction part and that part burned while the rest stayed unheated. Ruined the seasoning, so I had to use it on my regular cook top. Don't know if I will throw it out but likely. It has a flat bottom, but not really flat enough to sit on the stove properly.

Not pretty.
This is a hand beaten round flat bottom chunk of steal that looks like someone was trying to make a hubcap out of it then spot welded a couple of handles on.
Clean it real well it has industrial oil all over it,Season and it will probably be the best wok you ever purchased.
It wont win any kitchen beauty contests but it is serviceable,cooks well and will probably outlast you.

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment