Monday, October 14, 2013

Mario Batali Cookware Classic Enamel Cast Iron Round Dutch Oven - Persimmon



not a good value
I really liked the sleek design and color (Chianti, it's a deep red in person) of this Dutch Oven, in comparison to either Le Creuset or Staub. I've had mine for nearly two years at this point, and I've had a long time to come to terms with my buyer's regret.
First off, it weighs substantially more than nearly any other enameled cast iron Dutch Oven in its size that I've ever encountered; Lodge comes close, but the metal of Lodge's is maybe twice as thick. Secondly--and this is the bigger problem--the interior is terribly pitted, and has been since perhaps the first 6-8 months of use. After perhaps a year, it became terribly discolored, which might be fixable with serious cleaner, but I figured that would only make the pitting even worse. The enamel has also chipped in a couple places on the top of the pot and one of the handles. While there's a warranty, I'm not interested in trying again with a second pot; I just can't believe its quality will ever match its price. I'm...

Excellent product
I was looking at Amazon with interest in buying another Mario Batali product as I have loved my 6 quart dutch oven given to me as a gift. I was very surprised to see these negative reviews. I have had mine for 4 years, granted I take good care of it, but it is fantastic, cooks evenly and is not pitted or chipped. Yes it is heavy but contributes to it's excellence as far as I am concerned. The metal top handle is definitely not a negative as is sturdy and attractive. And over all super useful and beautiful pot!

so far I love it
Love the wide bottom for browning. I burnt something in it and it cleaned up beautifully. Greatly appreciate the care instructions - I would not have known not to go higher than medium high for browning. Great bargain on the Chianti.

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment